PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:30:06 MST 2014

On 03/03/2014 02:18 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> Anyway, that's how I do things. And it seems to work. Because the code is
> executed and not viewed, no one knows the exact format I use (and I do
> change it from project to project) for the token ID, so they can't ape it
> by editing/hacking/forging a cookie in their browser. Even if they did
> manage to view the cookie and get the token ID, they first have to KNOW
> it's the token ID, and not some other numeric value (most tokens I write
> are just large numbers with specific modulus requirements), then they have
> to verify which field is the timeout field (with multiple integer fields,
> all of which are unlabeled, that's not so easy). That's required so they
> can bypass the timeout requirements. And in case you're wondering, yes,
> logging out normally (by clicking the logout link) does delete the cookie
> from the computer. The logout link would normally take you back to
> login.php?act=logout. When login.php runs, if the act element of the
> $_REQUEST/$_GET/$_POST array is logout, it calls session_destroy() which my
> understanding is tells the browser to delete the cookie that was created by
> session_start(). So far it's worked well, and I've had no major complaints.

Yes, good practices, from what I can see.  Though PHP certainly doesn't
go out of its way to make life easy for a programmer.  I just read this
random blog post, and it's given me a migraine (I had one before I
started reading this article, but it's now a lot worse):

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

While I've never really enjoyed PHP, I had no idea PHP had so many
gotchas and pitfalls.  The article goes on for pages and pages with
specific examples that certainly are worrisome.

Not trying to troll here; I personally don't use PHP at all, and maybe
the author is off-base.  I dunno. I know many of you are very good at
wielding PHP effectively.