Would the local tech peeps care?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Mar 4 17:04:36 MST 2014

I'm just going to reply to myself here....

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> First, I'd like to offer a tiny vps (virtual private server) for free.

I really think this is going to happen. I just got the spec and
pricing for a *beefy* box that will allow me to host a bunch of free,
modest VPSs. The box has the following specs:

2x Xeon (6 cores and HT)
256G DDR3 ECC
SATA 3.0 HBA
16 500G SSDs (starting with 6) backing the zpool.

This comes in right around 10k. More than I wanted, but worth it if
the community digs on it.

I'm still looking for a network sponsor --I should have something
soon. Izeni will write the modest control panel (Django REST and
AngularJS).

I think this is a case of, if you build it, they will come :)

> Next, I'd like to offer unlimited private (or public) git-based
> projects on a GitLab server (http://gitlab.org/gitlab-ce/).

Don't think we're going to pursue this. Not enough interest. Use the
free VPS above to setup your own gitlab server ;)

Anyway, please respond to the list or privately if you'd use something
like this. I need to be sure it's worth the expense before I pull the
trigger. Thanks!

Best,
Gabe