Would the local tech peeps care?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Mar 3 18:00:05 MST 2014

All,

I've just been toying around with offering local tech peeps a few free
services that I could provide pretty easily. I wonder if these things
would actually be welcomed by the tech community and worth my effort.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking...

First, I'd like to offer a tiny vps (virtual private server) for free.
We're not talking about anything you'd run your business on, but it
would give people a place to play around. Because they'd be free, I'd
keep the specs very modest, something like 1 CPU, 40G disks, 512MB RAM
and a static IP (in a shared subnet). We'd offer Ubutnu LTS, CentOS
6.X and anything else the community wanted to help make base images
for. There would be no support or guaranteed up-times.

Next, I'd like to offer unlimited private (or public) git-based
projects on a GitLab server (http://gitlab.org/gitlab-ce/). We would
just limit the total disk space per user to 5G or something. I know
there are a ton of options out there for hosting git projects, but
most of the free stuff is for public projects.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is it worth my (well, Izeni's) effort
and expense?

(Feel free to forward to any UT tech communities)

Best,
Gabe