SmartOS

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Fri Feb 28 17:25:45 MST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> Anyone using SmartOS?
>
> It's very similar to what I was doing by hand with Ubuntu LTS, but I
> feel better about the state of ZFS on SmartOS and have grown to like
> the live boot approach.
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Not actually using it myself, but reading through the docs makes it
sound interesting.  However, it seems to have some drawbacks.
* Based on Solaris.  Ick.
* Kind of a step backwards in virtualization, missing a lot of
features/compatibility
* Poor choice for more than a few servers, no live migration, storage
migration, etc
* Poor choice for workstations, stuck with Solaris, or run in a VM.

But would be fun for a small office that needs a few VMs on one
system.  Or just fun to play with.  ZFS, DTrace, Zones are all really
cool, too bad most of it is still Solaris only.