Matt Melvin rage_311 at
Fri Feb 28 17:02:53 MST 2014

I'm not sure about the live booting that you're referring to, but I
moved from Ubuntu LTS to FreeBSD on my home server for ZFS maturity,
especially.  FreeBSD has a big community and pretty decent
documentation as well, which helped to cement it in my mind as a solid

SmartOS does look interesting though.