JOB: LAMP Artisan

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Fri Feb 28 10:32:35 MST 2014

Examples please? (I'm not trolling. I really want some examples.)

I admit that I'm poisoned by spending too much time with Drupal 6, 7, and
starting with 8. The most modern PHP framework I have played with is
CodeIgniter, which is a huge step forward but not exactly there. Is there
something better?

Justin asked me for examples of what I consider to be a modern web framework.
Examples that come to mind are:
* Ruby on Rails
* Python Django
* Python Pyramid
* Python Flask
* Catalyst (Perl)

Some of these I haven't played with much, but that is how I interpret the
documentation and the Hello World example.

Any Java framework like Spring or Wicket will seperate the web accessible
elements from code within the WAR file.

I believe that .NET makes the same seperation.

I admit that I am hating on 10-year-old PHP, but that is because I haven't
seen much evolution in that area. I haven't played with any of the Facebook
improvements, so there is probably something modern out there. I would
appreciate you bringing me up to date.

I learned a ton about web development by moving from Drupal to Django. Spring
has been very instructive as well. PHP frameworks seem to spend too much time
blaming the developer and not enough time doing their job of making proper web
development easier.

Richard