Regex golf, is this a valid PIN?

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Mon Feb 24 18:58:43 MST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes Javascript.  In our instance PIN must be at least 9 digits long and
> numeric.  There is no maximum length and we want to encourage longer PIN's.
> Thanks for the help!

Can I ask why it must be numeric? From a security perspective, a 9+ digit
pin seems a bit odd. Traditionally, PINs are short so they can be easy to
remember. Having a 10 digit number seems like it defeats that purpose.
Going with 9+ digits seems like an attempt to be more security conscious
but allowing only digits greatly reduces the domain of passwords. I may be
missing something, so I'm really interested in the use case.