JOB: LAMP Artisan

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Feb 21 20:11:27 MST 2014

On 2/21/2014 3:23 PM, Joshua Fenio wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Matthew Frederico <mfrederico at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Well said.  I suppose the old idiom - "A poor workman blames his tool" is
>> apropos?
>>

> Sure, but a good workman recognizes a broken tool when he sees one.  It's
> inarguable that PHP is a poorly designed language - if you can even argue
> that it's "designed" in the first place.

I really, really don't care about a language for its users (though
talking to them does affect my USE of the language).

My problem with a language usually has to do with the language itself or
its implementation.  If a language behaves differently depending on
whether you put your curly brackets on a new line or the same line, the
language is broken.  Like you suggested, PHP isn't actually designed, it
was a collection of perl scripts and it expanded to an amalgamation of
features instead of a language design.

That said, PHP is a great glue language to tie different bits of data
together.  Again, the accessibility of it to other users isn't something
that affects me specifically.  I don't want to work with feckless
programmers, but there are good programmers that use PHP (typically
because it's what they know) and there are feckless programmers that use
Haskell.  This doesn't paint either language in my eyes, it paints
programmers.

I don't use PHP in any new projects, but maintaining something older in
PHP isn't really a terrible thing unless it's terrible code, not because
of PHP.  =c)

Does One-Click-Retail do 4 x 10s, perchance?  =cP

-Tod Hansmann