JOB: LAMP Artisan

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:16:49 MST 2014

To summarize my previous post.

Anyone can write crappy code in any language.
PHP unfortunately makes it SOOO much easier!

The default mode of any language should be to make it hard to do things
that make the system insecure.
PHP's default mode is to make it hard to write secure code, but very easy
to write code in general.
This has resulted in an influx of people who know how to write PHP, but do
not know how to write PHP securely.
These people come out of the experience quite confident in their abilities
as developers and completely ignorant to the fact that they do not really
know how to develop properly.

This is not a reflection of the language so much as the majority case of
it's users and uses.

PHP is rather a lot like a hammer.
Anyone can pick up a hammer.
Many people can use it to hang a picture, some will do much better than
others at this task.
Of those that can hang a picture securely, few can build a house.
Even fewer of those can build a house that will withstand a 7.0 earthquake
while keeping the occupants safe and still looking good on the outside.
Those who do, generally won't use a hammer for every task of that process :D