To Go or not to Go

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Feb 18 23:48:09 MST 2014

On 2/18/2014 11:40 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Jonathan Duncan <
> jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:
>
>> My employer is considering the hire of another developer. The first
>> requirement is that the developer knows or is willing to learn Go. The
>> second requirement is that the developer not be entrenched in web
>> development but open to and experienced in other forms of development,
>> especially API and service infrastructure development.
>>
>> If you are interested at all, shoot me a note offlist.
>>

> Thank you for the replies. Among the replies it was mentioned that perhaps
> the list may be interested in a bit more information about the company I
> work for.
>
> I work for SmartyStreets (http://smartystreets.com/). We provide address
> verification services. Recently we have decided to rewrite ALL of our
> services in Go. The services are currently in .Net/C# and as all of us here
> know, that platform, while it has certain merits, has a great many
> downfalls. It may interest you to read a blog post from the owner of the
> company about exactly why we chose Go. He also has some other recent posts
> about why we are leaving .Net.
>
> http://blog.jonathanoliver.com/why-i-love-go/
>
> Also, as part of our massive rewrite we are taking the time to put
> everything under test. The native test tools with go were not exactly what
> we wanted, so rolled our own that has become quite popular on github. We
> call it GoConvey (http://goconvey.co/). Feel free to check it out.
>
> Enjoy!
> Jonathan Duncan

Yes yes, that's cool and all, but how do we compete for the job?  Do we
have to write Fizzbuzz in Go?  Is it more of a Gladiator style thing in
the HR conference room?  Do we have to save IT from Master Blaster in a
Thunderdome cage match before we can get an offer?

I'm all for the sport of it, but man, the demands of the job market
these days.  =cP

(In all seriousness, it looks like cool tech, hope you find awesome
peeps for it.)

-Tod Hansmann