Anyone here still read slashdot?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 7 18:41:50 MST 2014

On 02/06/2014 06:35 AM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or am I the only one who still habitually wastes time with the
>> occasional slashdot addiction?  If I had resgistered my username when I
>> first started reading slashdot my id would probably be 5 digits or less.
> My user number is 8620, and I haven't kicked the habit yet.
>
>> If any of you still read slashdot, what do you think of the new beta?
>> Personally I dislike it mainly because I'm old, but partly because I'm
>> inflexible, but what do you web design gurus on this list think of it?
>> Is it truly as bad as most of the commenters and moderators seem to think?
> I don't like it much, but I'm admittedly old, inflexible and
> curmudgeonly, so I'm trying to withhold judgement.  It is cleaner, and
> I can't quantify exactly why I don't like it, other than it just seems
> harder to read with my old eyes.

You can't quantify it?  Imagine a beowulf cluster of slashdot-beta.
Does that help?

I feel like everytime I turn around some poor, starving
liberal-arts-grad-turned-web-designer is convincing some upper-manager
that the present site interface is old and curmudgeonly in hopes of
scoring a few meals and a letter of reference using nothing but
photoshop and Drupal for Dummies.  What follows usually resembles a
major train wreck.

;-Daniel