Bob like interfaces?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:32:43 MST 2014

Well said.  I guess I was thinking the exploratory interface would be more
welcoming and familiar, but if you don't get the expected interaction I can
see how that would be off putting.  I never got to experience the joy that
was Bob, it looked interesting an I've pondered these same screenshots
periodically for several year.  But clearly it bombed for a reason.

Nevertheless a 3D "Home" structured like a real home, intuitively seems to
me to be an ideal introduction for a pure novice.
Perhaps though, it's not, for the reasons you outlined and because when it
comes down to it, it has limited applicability to the way modern interfaces
actually work.

By way of example, (and car analogy since it appears to be lament slashdot
day).  A real racecar does not actually have a stick shift.  It has paddles
on the steering wheel, probably because the worst thing you can possibly do
at 200MPH is take your hands off the wheel.

Nevertheless, a novice driver should probably stick with an automatic or
stick shift because that's what is in use by 99% of the automobiles on the
road.  Learning to paddle shift then would just be pointless because they
would be hard pressed to find a car with a price tag lower than a ferrari
that comes with that type of shifting mechanism.