Anyone here still read slashdot?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:18:09 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 11:37 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
>> The off-topic ones are all whines about the beta interface.  Sure,
>> interface preferences are a highly subjective thing, but that kind of
>> nonsense in response is just childish.
>
> Yes today proves your point, unfortunately.  Today is the beginning of a
> protest against the re-design.  And it seems pretty thorough and
> effective too.  Might be ultimately self-destructive, but either way the
> site is dying.  A bad time to check out slashdot for any value it might
> have had.

I have also got a bit old and curmudgeonly, but it's made me impatient
with comments on websites rather than with arbitrary design changes. I
used to read Slashdot comment threads and I had convinced myself there
was some value.  And there probably was, a bit.  I also used to follow
kuro5hin, but that turned into a cesspool as well.  Alas, community
moderation not only moderates the content produced by the community,
but also the members of the community itself.  Given enough time and
population turnover, no community-moderated publication is likely to
provide the same value level to any particular person.

      --Levi