Ridding myself of root passwords?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 11:47:45 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Process was running as an unpriviledged user.
> I'm guessing SELinux might have helped but in as we discussed before I make
> it habit to shut that off because 99% of the time it's just in my way.
> Many, many times the only solution to a daemon not launching is "setenforce
> 0" or some other "let's shut off selinux" type of answer, to the point that
> disabling it is one of the first things I do.  I can't have security
> getting in the way of usability all the time like that.

Yup, security is often inconvenient.  But how often do you think,
"Man, locking my door is a pain.  When I get home and it's cold out
and my gloves are on, it's so annoying to have to take them off to
fish the key out of my pocket and unlock the door.  And when my hands
are full with groceries, I have to set them down too, and then pick
them back up. You know what?  I'm just going to leave my door
unlocked.  Locking it *really* inhibits its usability. And having to
turn the doorknob is a pain, too.  I'm just going to switch to a
friction catch so I can push it open with my foot."

Probably you should take the time to learn how SELinux or some similar
tool works, and then using it would no longer be so inconvenient.

       --Levi