Anyone here still read slashdot?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 11:37:54 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Heh.  I can say without reservation that that is not why it's worse
>> for me.  I don't read comments on slashdot.  Even for free, the price
>> is too high for stupidity.
>
> You are indeed a rare person! If it weren't for the comments I wouldn't
> find any value whatsoever in slashdot.

I'm not sure why you think his position is rare.  Maybe rare among the
self-selected group of people who are active in mailing lists for
Linux User Groups? Or the self-selected group of people who still read
slashdot?

> In truth if you read at a level 2 or higher, the comments are quite
> interesting, relevant, and educational. That's a reason I signed up
> years ago.  Comments do suffer from groupthink (which depends on which
> faction got in first).  Slashdot has been a fairly good example of
> community discussion done right, and maintained a fairly high quality of
> comments, due to the moderation system.  Comments modded to +5, for
> example, are almost without exception truly good.

Maybe the link posted above
(http://news-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/02/05/2338203/build-an-open-source-electric-car-in-about-one-hour)
was an anomaly (I doubt it), but in what way are the comments at +5
there good?  Only one of them is on-topic, and it was a typical
Slashdot dismissive sneer, i.e. "This y is just x, except it sucks"

The off-topic ones are all whines about the beta interface.  Sure,
interface preferences are a highly subjective thing, but that kind of
nonsense in response is just childish.

Nope, slashdot is not getting my attention back.

      --Levi