Anyone here still read slashdot?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:52:46 MST 2014

On 02/06/2014 06:35 AM, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I don't like it much, but I'm admittedly old, inflexible and
> curmudgeonly, so I'm trying to withhold judgement.  It is cleaner, and
> I can't quantify exactly why I don't like it, other than it just seems
> harder to read with my old eyes.

I think I can quantify why I don't like it.  The problem is, and this is
something slashdot's owners don't understand, is that the actual content
on slashdot isn't the stories, it's not the pretty pictures; it's the
moderated comments.  That is the reason slashdot exists and why it's not
just another headline aggregator, or even another reddit.  While the
design is "cleaner," it makes it harder to read the comments at least
compared to classic.  The other content (pretty stock pictures,
summaries and links) is placed first, and then comments are added in via
slashdot, disqus-style.  Clearly sending a message that the comments are
just "oh by the way."  And come on, you can't even use the site via
elinks! ;)

No I understand how javascript is useful on modern sites, and makes them
more interactive, but in this case it's silly. The comments should load
with the page, and then maybe be change-able via javascript after
its designed to be added to existing pages and sites.  Slashdot's
comments are THE content of slashdot, not optionally added on.  Shows me
that Dice just doesn't get what slashdot actually is. If Dice is losing
money on slashdot, this is only going to make it worse.

I'm all for a fork of slashdot. The source code (though a bit crufty by
now I think) is available.  Story editing (oh who am I kidding, there is
no story editing on Slashdot) would require volunteers. Maybe they could
use moderators in some way to approve stories and then vote the story up
or down.  Though would that just be copying dig?  And hosting a site as
popular as slashdot is expensive.  Maybe I'll just move on and be
productive with my time, and just stick to reading headlines on the
other tech aggregator sites...