What to do when nslookup & dig disagree?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 12:18:05 MST 2014

So I'm having a very strange problem on one of my sites.
A day or so ago we moved off cloudfront and onto someone else.

Now the site resolves for some people and not others (admitedly in
different parts of the world).
This would be somewhat expected behavior I guess, except for the fact that
when I test it the site pulls up fine and snappy in the webbrowser but SSH
can't connect.

nslookup shows that there is no DNS entry
dig shows the server and it's name servers.

Online tools seem to be 50/50 on this too.

I'm fairly certain if I just wait another 24 hours things will resolve on
their own.
However I can't fathom why dig and nslookup would disgree.

I guess I always thought they used the same sources, but clearly I'm wrong
here.

I'm not really looking for advice or help because this sort of thing does
tend to work itself out.
But what I do want to know is how it's possible for them to disagree?

Thanks!