The right way to load balance?

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Tue Feb 4 19:19:05 MST 2014

Thus said "S. Dale Morrey" on Tue, 04 Feb 2014 12:23:13 -0700:

> Seems like it should be a simple thing with DNS. I'm not really trying
> to count packets or do a round robin. I just want folks on one side of
> the globe  to hit one server  and folks on  the other side to  hit the
> other.

It is simple with DNS:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/tinydns-data.html#differentiation

You just need to find a database  of IPs and geographic regions and then
you can assign location codes to your DNS records.

This  isn't load  balancing per  se, but  it would  direct DNS  response
traffic based on geographic information.

People who lookup an A record in the  UK would not get the same A record
from the US.

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000052f19fb9