The right way to load balance?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Feb 4 13:04:24 MST 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance I really don't want the visitors from Europe having to go all
> the way to California for their websitey goodness.  It would make much more
> sense for them to hit the server in London.  I'm pretty sure the USA folks
> don't want their packets to hike it all the way to London either.

There are many different ways to distribute your load geographically,
here are a few possibilities.
* Use a third party CDN
* Redirects (eg. http://us.example.org)
  * Redirect users based on country choice on initial landing page
  * Redirect users using geo-ip location lookups
* Non-standard DNS server that returns different results by source
address (Google: geoip dns)
* Anycast IP address.  Host an IP from many geographically disparate sites.