Software & Hardware for Internet Radio

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 02:10:03 MDT 2014

Hey Pluggers,

One of the guys I see here on a daily basis has expressed an interest in
starting his own internet radio station. I think it's a cool idea, but
while I can give him pointers on his basic hardware and such, I wouldn't
know where to begin on recommending any hardware or software for the actual
radio stuff. I know he'd need a microphone, but beyond that, I'm not sure.
If he's playing any music (assuming he has the licenses from the record
companies to play their music) I can recommend he store his music on the
computer in MP3 format or something, but is that the best way? And what
software would you recommend to actually broadcast the audio data to anyone
who is interested? Is there anything else he'd need? I've already helped
him design on paper a small but effective Linux router, and for that we
basically just used a small AMD APU based box (I think he's got an A8 APU
in it, but I don't think that really matters much) with Linux and iptables.
But is there any other special configuration needed besides forwarding the
correct ports via iptables and enabling ip forwarding via the /proc file
system (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward if memory serves)?

Since I was sincerely stumped on this, I told him I'd ask you guys and see
what you all said.

I appreciate any recommendations, and I'm sure he does too. :)

--- Dan