Asterisk handling a small business

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Apr 8 09:37:36 MDT 2014

I second Chris' sentiments.  I'll also suggest looking at a hosted solution
like getjive.com which is like 25/month per handset for as much calling as
needs be and a ton of features including IVR creation.  If one does go the
route of self-hosting, please do FreeSwitch instead of Asterisk.  It's far
more flexible and performant for when he wants to change it later, and if
this becomes a major point of his business it can be fleshed out quite a
bit to power the business without incurring a lot of cruft and code modules
all over the place that become hard to maintain.  That's why FreeSwitch
exists, because Asterisk is architected pretty bad for long-term.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Cheers,
-Tod Hansmann