Reading IP address given via DHCP

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 05:40:40 MDT 2013

On Sept. 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Mike Lovell wrote:

> it sounds like you have already built most of this so this suggestion

> might not be of much value. have you looked at using ipxe [1] for

> this? it can  be used with pxe to do all kinds of cool things like
booting

> from http, iscsi, fcoe, or others and has a limited scripting ability.

> ipxe could do a  workflow like this:

[details deleted]

Never even heard of ipxe before (or fcoe for that matter). It's
interesting. I'll have to take a look at it more. You're right that I do
have most of it already scripted. However, since I haven't turned it in
yet, I'm always looking for ways to make the overall process simpler.

Just out of curiosity, what IS fcoe? For that matter, I keep hearing about
iscsi, but the only *scsi things I've ever heard about are the old trio of
SCSI, Ultra SCSI (USCSI) and Ultra-Wide SCSI (UWSCSI). This iscsi thing is
an unknown to me besides the fact that I've heard of it before. :)

Besides, even if I don't use ipxe for this project, it's something good to
have on hand for future reference. :) I'll take a look at the site. Mind
sending me some of your scripts for it so I can see how it would be
implemented?

Thanks!

--- Dan