reading IP address given via DHCP

Lonnie Olson lists at
Wed Sep 25 10:53:05 MDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at> wrote:
> Here's basically what I'm after (and yes, it's kind of convoluted. But the
> guy I was explaining this network setup wants to be supremely lazy
> regarding updating the config files for dhcpd and the named zone files):

I understand lazy.  It's not a bad thing for a sysadmin either.  But
maybe you should consider it as well.  :)

If I understood you correctly, your goals can be achieved much easier
using tools already available to you.  Dynamic DNS zone, DHCP
configured to update DNS, and DHCP config to distribute different PXE
files to different subnets.  Much easier than convoluted scripting.