OS and UI for a kiosk?

Hugh Clark isuroot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:24:16 MDT 2013

I built a coupon kiosk at my last job and used xubuntu.  I had it start X
with an xinitrc set to sleep forever and then start the flash application.
X would restart itself if it ever died and there was a watchdog that would
restart the app if it died or stopped responding.  It was small enough that
it could fit compressed on a 512MB SDD with room left for caching videos
for playback.  It worked well and we had about 200 units deployed by the
time I left.

-Hugh