OS and UI for a kiosk?

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:13:09 MDT 2013

On 09/18/13 20:08, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been asked to help a company that wants to upgrade their kiosk
> network.  They're currently running Windows XP but they've also created a
> Web Based UI.
>
> Ideally we just want to present the customer with a fullscreen interface
> and not allow any ability to exit the application without opening the box.
>
> I'm thinking something along the lines of Android or Chrome would be
> suitable for this, I hesitate to recommend any flavor of windows since
> these kiosks are cash accepting and used to load payment cards.
>
> Any recommendations?

I imagine any Linux with selinux enabled or Open/FreeBSD would be a good
choice. OpenBSD has some killer security settings out of the box and is
easy to setup and work with; so far my experience with selinux is it's
difficult to make work, but I'm far from an expert with regard.
</$22.22 Adjusted for inflation>

--
John D Jones III
Perl Zealot 4LYF