Bluetooth Headset and Lenovo T-61 on Debian 7.0

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Sep 18 12:09:27 MDT 2013

I have a Lenovo T-61 running Debian 7.0 (Wheezy). It runs Alsa rather
than PulseAudio. I just bought a Bose AE2w headset, which operates by
Bluetooth, including the A2DP profile.
http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/ae2w/page.html?src=PTS00003

The Lenovo has a bluetooth adapter, a Broadcomm BCM2045B (BDC-2).
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Bluetooth_Daughter_Card_with_Enhanced_Data_Rate_%28BDC-2%29
Bluez is version 4.99-2.

I am new to bluetooth.

If I understand the Blueman Device Manager 1.22 and the LEDs on the
headset correctly, the two paired. The "headset service" also
connected. I see data going by in the Manager, at about "16 B/s".
However I get no sound on the headset. I do have sound on the Lenovo's
speakers as usual.

I called Bose' technical support. I was told that the profile support
must also be supported by the hardware of the laptop. Broadcomm's web
site does not indicate hardware support for any profiles.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM2045

Suggestions?

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV