: /etc/mtab

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Mon Sep 16 07:34:06 MDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Now, suppose that without actually unmounting the file system, the last
> line (the nfs mount) disappears from the file (either by corruption or by
> malice). What would be the actual effect on the system? It wouldn't
> actually unmount the nfs directory would it? In such a hypothetical
> example, the files in the nfs directory would still be accessible under
> /progs, wouldn't they? the system just wouldn't be able to properly unmount
> the nfs directory, correct? Or am I completely wrong on this?*

At least on my system, /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/self/mounts which is
read-only. /proc/self/mounts just reflects what the kernel knows about
currently mounted file systems. Removing/corrupting an entry in there would
be quite a bit harder than just opening the file with a text editor.

--
Byron Clark