autogen.sh problem: error: STL <vector> header file not detected

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Sep 11 11:04:29 MDT 2013

I am trying to compile a program written in C++. When I run
./autogen.sh, it does its thing, and then runs ./configure. I get the
following error:

    checking vector usability... no
    checking vector presence... no
    checking for vector... no
    configure: error: STL <vector> header file not detected

Unfortunately, the error message does not identify the exact name of
the missing file.

This is on Debian 7.0, wheezy. I have multiarch installed. Some tools
or libraries may not be installed.

Am I missing a step prior to runing ./autogen.sh?

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV