Best way to run a full linux distro from a flash drive?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 16:29:11 MDT 2013

For the short term, I'm going to run linux off of a little usb flash
drive on this router computer, rather than spring for a full-on SSD.
Some things are going to be much slower this way, but routing and
firewalling will be unaffected. So my question is how should I partition
things and set up the file systems to run optimally, survive resets,
etc?  Except when doing system updates, the root file system should
probably be read-only.  And tmp should probably be tmpfs.  Probably
/var/run and /var/tmp as well.  Any other ideas?  I might make /etc its
own partition so I can manage dansguardian via webmin.

I'm using a 4 GB stick at the moment.

thanks.