Explain Shell

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed Sep 4 09:13:25 MDT 2013

On 9/4/2013 8:50 AM, Alan Young wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/
> Back in *my* day we had to read the source code.  And we *loved* it!
> None of this namby-pamby crap about documentation!

In all honesty, I learned both DOS and Linux architecture in general
from using [-h|--help|/?] and trying random crap.  Not the fastest way
to learn, but fascinating for an 8 year old, until dad comes home and
wonders why yon fabled 386 isn't booting anymore.

Now we have nice tutorials and things like tldp.org has, which probably
would have been better and more thorough, though I probably wouldhave
needed to be a bit older.

Thank heavens we didn't do anything important with that machine.

-Tod Hansmann