Linux root FS on NFS?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 07:56:26 MDT 2013

On 09/02/2013 03:17 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> I'm trying to explain to someone how you could configure Linux to serve as
> a PXE boot server to another Linux machine and have that machine (PXE boot
> machine, not server sending PXE image) obtain it's root file system
> (really, ALL it's files except /tmp, /proc, /sys and things from the
> optical drive) via NFS. I've gotten a lot of the details, but I keep
> missing something. Does anyone know of a good FAQ/walkthrough/etc... that
> would be able to tell me what I'm missing and to tell me if I made any
> mistakes?

Maybe try to boot the system and see what heppens?

> I'd appreciate it! I think this is going to be for Gentoo, but I don't
> really care which distribution the instructions are for. I can fix them in
> my head.

It's a bit dated, but here's something for CentOS 5:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/DisklessClients

and for the gee wiz file, here's a guy who boots windows 7 over pxe
disklessly using iscsi, coming from a linux server using LVM and
copy-on-write:

http://kentonsprojects.blogspot.ca/2011/12/lan-party-house-technical-design-and.html