Wireless LAN bridge

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:26:55 MDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 05:30 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 16:55:07 -0600
> Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
>
>> I live close enough to my parents that we have had a 180 foot cable
>> between our houses, run through our backyards and over a mutual
>> neighbour's fence.  This fence was recently replaced, which is having
>> an affect on our cable.
>
> Possibly the cable is getting old and was damaged in the course of
> replacing the fence. Try replacing the cable.

And consider using fiber.  It can be as cheap as $1 a meter, though
outdoor rated stuff is several times more expensive.  In any case you
can run it at gigabit speeds.  SC transceivers are as low as $50 a piece
on amazon I think.  And it's much safer from an electrical point of
view.  Running ethernet between buildings without special grounding and
surge protection hardware is actually against most building codes.

As for wireless, I've done that at my present location for several years
and it leaves much to be desired in terms of speed and reliability.  You
can take just about any router and with a nice firmware like tomato or
openwrt turn it into a bridge very easily. Just disable DHCP, assign it
a good address you can reach later (on the same subnet as the network
you're bridging, ideally), and configure the wireless stuff to be in
client mode against your parents' existing wireless access point.  Of
course it might not reach that far...  Where I live I get 400 feet
easily, but it's very quiet out here.

I suppose you could build a dedicated point to point link with two
routers and directional antennas.

I looked into laser links once, and they were mega bucks (thousands of
dollars).