Old Hardware for New Life

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 20:42:18 MDT 2013

On 10/21/13 20:08, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> Folks!
>
> So, I have some old hardware, as many of us do.  I'd like to get rid of
> it, but I don't want to just throw it out if there's some use it can
> fill somewhere.  I have things like an old 1.8Ghz AthlonXP box with a
> 120GB IDE HD.  I can think of some things someone might do with such a
> thing, but I don't want to do it myself, as I have other hardware doing
> that kind of thing (like my "router" box).  What do YOU do?
>
> Yes, I do know this has been asked before.  I think this is one of those
> questions worth revisiting now and then.
>
> -Tod Hansmann

well, I've got to be pretty handy building FreeBSD based
Router/Firewalls out of old HW, but you can do things like a simple
Fileserver/DLNA/etc server too... typically those kinds of things do not
require very much in the line of resources and are pretty easy to work
with. If you want to contribute to the community, you could set up an
Arch Linux installation, adopt some packages on the AUR and build a
package build server to build those packages and run a nice package repo
from it too... use minihttpd or thttpd to serve the packages. I have a
build script I used to build my Cinnamon packages for Arch Linux: you
can port it to what ever list of packages you adopt.
https://github.com/jnbek/cinnabuilder the idea is simple, set up a
weekly cron to run through and dl the PKGBUILDs and build packages out
of them. Doesn't require TONS of resources and you can give back to the
community too.

--
Thanks,
John D Jones III