USB on Virt. Boxes

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 03:57:49 MDT 2013

On October 9, 2013, Michael Torrie Write:

> I brought in a slightly newer version of virt-manager and

> python-virtinst (from source) on my RHEL/CentOS 6 server. And USB 2.0

> devices work just fine even with this conservative version of qemu-kvm

> and libvirt. The virt-manager gui lets you switch the USB bus version

> to 2.0, and then you can add and remove USB devices from the GUI. When

> you add a device, it gets written to the VM's xml file, so it will be

> persistent.

> So as long as you have virt-manager >= 0.9.1, you have easy usb

> 2.0 support in KVM.

Sounds good. I'll have to look into that. Of course, it's actually going to
be a few months before I actually have a chance to sit down and start on
this project (just got handed a ton of stuff to deal with), but I'll make
note of this and can look into it as soon as I have time to actually work
on my own projects. :)

> Anyway give kvm and virtualbox both a try. For my purposes, where I

> want my vms to be long-running, KVM works well. When the host shuts

> down, it automatically suspends and saves the guests. And on boot, it

> brings up all my vms automatically (you can mark which ones to start

> automatically). And the virt-manager GUI, while not quite as slick as

> VirtualBox or VMWare, works quite well. Just don't expect graphics

> performance to be anywhere as good as VirtualBox, because KVM isn't so

> much a desktop app solution.

That's okay. There won't be any graphics on the guest machines. The guests
will all be Linux with no X installed. Just a bare bones Linux install that
has barely enough installed to boot on it's own and run the program(s) that
guest is supposed to run. Of course the HOST will have X, but again, just a
basic X setup. Probably just a bare-bones KDE setup or something (I never
did develop a taste for Gnome). So I have no worry about graphics. Now, I
can likely use VirtualBox on my workstation for running those few windows
programs that don't like Wine (primarily older/smaller non-DirectX games).
But that's the only place where I can see much of a need for the graphical
stuff in my personal setups. :)

Thanks!
--- Dan