USB on Virt. Boxes

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:43:42 MDT 2013

On 10/09/2013 08:57 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Sadly Red Hat is still on 0.9.0 on RHEL 6, which is what I'm using.  But
> if you were using something not quite so conservative, I bet it's all
> there.  I might just try building a more recent version of virt-manager
> to see if it's working (I also have a need for USB 2.0 support).

I brought in a slightly newer version of virt-manager and
python-virtinst (from source) on my RHEL/CentOS 6 server.  And USB 2.0
devices work just fine with even this conservative version of qemu-kvm
and libvirt.  The virt-manager gui lets you switch the USB bus version
to 2.0, and then you can add and remove USB devices from the GUI.  When
you add a device, it gets written to the VM's xml file, so it will be
persistent.

So as along as you have virt-manager version >= 0.9.1, you have easy usb
2.0 support in KVM.

Anyway give kvm and virtualbox both a try.  For my purposes, where I
want my vms to be long-running, KVM works well. When the host shuts
down, it automatically suspends and saves the guests. And on boot, it
brings up all my vms automatically (you can mark which ones to start
automatically).  And the virt-manager GUI, while not quite as slick as
VirtualBox or VMWare, works quite well.  Just don't expect graphics
performance to be anywhere as good as VirtualBox, because KVM isn't so
much a desktop app solution.