Google Fiber Terms of Service

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Oct 8 17:18:07 MDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM, John D Jones III <unixgeek1972 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You know Comcast technically doesn't allow "servers" either, but that
>> doesn't stop hundreds or maybe thousands of people from doing it. I think
>> in this case legal responsibility is the key. If you run and it works you
>> can probably get away with it.

>> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM, John Fenley <pontifier at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The wording there is vague:
> you should not host any type of server
> keyword being should. I think where that will come into play will be for
> accounts that are hosting torrent sites, multiple GB a day websites, etc. I
> think for the average joe, one should be fine.

This is true that you may be able to get away with running servers on
these connections.  And Yes it is probably true that the reason this
restriction is in place is to prevent abuse.

However, despite that, these Terms of Service on Comcast and Google
Fiber allows them to discontinue your service at any time they feel.
This exposes you to a certain amount of risk, and depending on what
you use the connection for, this risk may not be acceptable.

Comcast already provides business connections that allow "servers".
Google should follow suit.