visual studio and git

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 00:18:33 MST 2013

On November 6, 2013, Charles Curley wrote:

> Autotools is reputed to be an unholy mess, and very difficult to

> maintain. I have never been able to understand how the whole tool chain

> works. The lack of documentation didn't help either.

Well, I'll agree on the documentation point. Documentation for the programs
(beyond the miniscule man pages I can sometimes find) would be most helpful.

> There are alternatives, such as scons.

Forgive me be a newb on this one, but what the heck is scons, and where do
I find out more about it? :) If it will make my configure and Makefile
files for me so I don't have to handle the whole process manually then I'm
curious about it. I love the ./configure && make && make install sequence,
since it automates so much, but I will agree that using autotools to make
the control files (configure.in, Makefile.in, etc...) is a pain in the A__
at times.

--- Dan