package manager problem

Corey Edwards tensai at
Thu Nov 7 11:59:58 MST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Corey Edwards <tensai at> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at>
>> wrote:
>> > How do I do it with apt-get?
>> Look in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d. Just remove
>> the offending lines.
> I think that's what I needed. Thanks. What exactly is that directory

/etc/apt is where all the Apt configurations live. The sources.list files tell
apt where it should look for package lists, which in turn tell Apt where the
packages are.

sources.list.d is a directory which contains additional source files so that
3rd party repositories can be used. Ubuntu PPAs are an example of this.
Google also uses them for Earth, Chrome, etc.