package manager problem

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 09:39:43 MST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > How do I do it with apt-get?
>>
>> Look in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d. Just remove
>> the offending lines.
>>
>> I think that's what I needed. Thanks. What exactly is that directory and
> how could I have figured this out on my own?

If you type 'man apt-get' and look in the SEE ALSO section, you'll
find reference to documentation on the various tools and configuration
files in the apt system. Another handy tool for finding about things
is to run something like 'apropos apt', which will return a list of
man pages that make some reference to apt in their name or
description.

Knowledge that /etc is where the configuration files for most services
on your system are stored would come from reading the basic
documentation provided by your distribution provider. Once you know
this, it's natural to poke around /etc for something related to the
program giving you an error to see if there's a relevant option you
can find in the config files.

If you don't know enough about some error message to have any idea
what man page to look in, or if it turns out to be undocumented in
your system, pasting error messages into the google search box is a
reasonable first step to tracking things down as well.

      --Levi