visual studio and git

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Nov 6 16:11:53 MST 2013

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:38:50 -0700
Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:

> Whats wrong with the gnu toolchain?  I'll admit that I write my
> makefiles by hand, and recently I've been doing more writing in VHDL,
> so I'm somewhat lacking in experience.  Whats wrong with autotools
> and gcc in particular?

Autotools is reputed to be an unholy mess, and very difficult to
maintain. I have never been able to understand how the whole tool chain
works. The lack of documentation didn't help either.

There are alternatives, such as scons.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV