Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:45:11 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 08:31 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 08:32 -0600, Andy Bradford wrote:
>
> I count myself among the sysadmins who welcomed systemd. I wouldn't say
> I clamored. Frankly, as I get older I get lazier and the thought of
> learning something new didn't excite me. But the more I read about
> systemd the more I realized it was qualitatively better than SysV or
> Upstart.
*bigsnip*
> I will also admit that portability to other *nix flavors is important to
> some people. But I'm not one of them.
>
> Instead, I wouldn't point out that systemd is finally helping to
> increase the unity of Linux. While it does includes allowance for
> different ditros, it has erased alot of the pointless little differences
> between distros. Now that's what I call portability!

     I'm in full agreement here. Period. I've always been a little blown
away with Stuart's rantings and feel a little honored to be one of the
many he's raked across the coals due to ignorance; self imposed or
otherwise. I am a little surprised, but, also quite excited to have
someone with the passion for *nix that Stuart has, touting the benefits
of systemd and pointing out it's potential.
     I honestly can't understand why everyone is in such an uproar
against it.. While this doesn't mean I'll be switching to Fedora, (Arch
Linux for LIFE!!) I think I'll at least be dropping the 'k' I've
inserted with regard to Fedora's name when referring to it.
     In conclusion, I'd like to take this time to also mention how
awesome it is to have a good old PLUG style discussion again!! If
systemd is what it takes to reunite this list's passion, so be it!!
--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript Zealot
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com