Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Mar 28 19:43:13 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 16:58 -0600, Daniel Fussell wrote:
> > Can you even name any of the issues that PulseAudio addressed?
> Yes, network audio; and I've never see pulse do even a half decent job
> of that.  If there was another problem it solved, I'm not aware of it.

Bzzzt, wrong. When PulseAudio was released one of the most popular
complaints was that it didn't support network audio.

PulseAudio has made life so much better you probably take it for
granted. It introduced:

- Seamless output switching. As sound hardware got cheaper and dumber,
software became responsible for handling the transition from speakers,
to headphones, to bluetooth, and back. Ever buy a fancy new laptop only
to discover plugging in your headphones did nothing if there was already
sound coming out the speakers? I did.

- Per-application volume control. So subtle you've probably never
noticed it happening.

- Re-sampling so different apps could play at different frequencies.
Remember the bad old days when some apps could play audio at the same
time but others couldn't? This was part of the problem.

- Lower power usage. Your snide remarks aside, previous solutions used
more power because they relied on frequent wakeups to avoid underflow
while PulseAudio was carefully designed to dynamically readjust to wake
up a little as possible while still maintaining responsiveness.

And that's just what I remember off the top of my head. Lennart
published several fascinating blog posts diving into the Windows, Mac,
and Linux audio stacks and explain the trade offs he chose.

I don't feel like digging up all the articles, but here's a good
example: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html