Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 28 17:43:35 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 04:49 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Daniel Fussell<dfussell at byu.edu>  wrote:
>> And so they chased after an OS that was once again dumbing down the
>> interface to meet the intelligence of it's "users".  This might work for
>> the general masses.  But someone that seeks enlightenment and truth
>> wants an interface the pulls them up, not dumbs them down.  We seek an
>> intelligent interface that improves out lives.  Dumbing down the
>> interface just dumbs down the user.  And those users are too dumb to
>> switch to a better OS anyway, so why chase it.  Give people with the
>> desire to have a free mind find their way out of the matrix a place to
>> go.  Do shove them back in an call it an improvement.
> I strongly disagree with this sentiment.  These new desktop interfaces
> are not dumbing down the interface.  They add tons of features that
> previously required tons of third party addons and configuring to
> work.  Features that increase productivity.  I for one couldn't live
> without built-in instant search for apps, files, etc.
>
> They do remove some of the insane level of options in the "control
> panels" that more often than not tends to break stuff
> (http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill).  However they continue to
> provide a rich set of customization through hidden settings or
> extensions for advanced users.  I would argue if you truly only cared
> about customization, you would be using KDE, E17 or some other strange
> window manager.

That's why I run KDE.  I had hoped Gnome3 would be better with memory
usage, and I'd have a decent alternative to KDE4.  But for one thing, I
couldn't get past it repositioning and resizing my modal dialogs to
cover the main window I was working on every time I opened a dialog.  It
feels like my desktop wants to play peek-a-boo with me!  And the
applications list is so overwhelming, my wife refuses to even look at
the computer it's on.  Many desktops she has complained about for a week
or two; KDE4 a little longer.  Gnome3 and every windows version since
Vista have been the only interfaces she boycotts.  And smartphones in
general.  She won't talk on mine even if I answer the call for her.

> systemd is not just about booting faster, it's about adding tons of
> init features that are sorely needed, and those that have been in use
> through ugly hacks before.  Dependencies,
LSB-headered init scripts have done this since at least 2007.  Yes, it
can be an ugly hack, and I prefer using rc.local for my own custom
stuff.  But that's what rc.local was for anyway.
> socket activated daemons,
Internet Supervisor/Superserver.  Been around since BSD, and at least
two very capable versions of it: bsd-inetd and xinetd.  Take your pick.
> process watching,

inittab, the various heartbeat/pacemaker cluster stacks,
hacked-and-cron-ed process watchers.  No, none are pretty, or totally
reliable, I'll give you that.  But I suspect systemd will have all the
constant respawn problems of inittab, and the complexity of cluster
and/or local process watch dogs.

> etc.  Also, creating new services/jobs is much
> easier than trying to hack together a custom init script.

You may have something there, but the simplicity and transparency of
init scripts was one of the major selling points over the non-opaque,
constantly-broken service managers Windows uses.  Now we're following
suit.  What's next, a registry?

> Yes, there will need to be some initial learning to be done to
> understand the new ways of doing things, but it's not much more than
> the initial learning you had to do with SysV Init scripts + distro
> specific handling of them (chkconfig vs update-rc.d)

Agreed, and I am being hard on something I know less about than even
Gnome3.  But it sure feels like several other good ideas that were all
one step forward and two back (akonadi, nepomuk, Gnome3, upstart, grub2,
AMD/ATI, Nokia/Qt, the plague, etc)

;-Daniel