Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 28 16:58:09 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 08:15 AM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 07:00 -0600, Jeff Jibson wrote:
>> "A solution in search of a problem," sounds like PulseAudio... oh, that was
>> written by Lennart Poettering too.  That should be enough reason to make
>> you run in terror.
> I love how many people are willng to dismiss Poettering's work because
> they can't be bothered to understand the problems he solves. Clearly you
> don't remember the dark days of esd and and it's slightly less crippled
> co-conspirator aRts. Complaining about PulseAudio is popular because
> some distros did a poor job of managing the transition, but can you
> honestly say you've evaluated the alternatives and want to go back?
Yes.  It's ALSA or nothing.

> I mean seriously. This is as bad as peppering your conversation with
> references to MicroShaft of and Winblows. It might make you look cool in
> front of newbies, but you sound like a child to anyone who actually
> understands the situation.
>
> Can you even name any of the issues that PulseAudio addressed?
Yes, network audio; and I've never see pulse do even a half decent job
of that.  If there was another problem it solved, I'm not aware of it.
I vaguely remember having issues with multiple input streams not being
mixed, but I think they were all OSS-based sources.  It's been so long,
I don't even remember.  For all I know, KMix might be doing all mixing
for me.  I just know it works, and doesn't hog the CPU, and it's not pulse.

Oh yeah, there was one problem pulse did get rid of for me...idle CPU
cycles.

;-Daniel