Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 28 16:19:58 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 02:22 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Michael Torrie<torriem at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The only problem with these decisions made by someone else is that many
>> of these changes are made to make life easier for the mythical new user
>> that Fedora developers and Gnome developers seem to be catering to,
>> which really doesn't exist.  The problem is their user base aren't the
>> grandmas, mas, and pops of the world.  It's us, the enthusiasts.  This
>> blind spot is especially present in Gnome 3 developers sadly.
> Keep your definition of "enthusiast" to yourself.  :) As a software enthusiast, I welcome bold new directions like Gnome 3, Unity, Wayland, whatever that thing Canonical has decided to use instead of Wayland, etc. Sometimes they don't pan out, but Linux userspace is riding on seriously old, crufty foundations. Fresh ideas keep it relevant and interesting.
With the original Linux desktop, it was a bunch of enthusiasts with a
better/improving kernel and userspace chasing the tail lights of another
OS, for freedom from software licenses bleeding people dry.  Or some
such.  It wasn't as good, or stable, but it wasn't Microsoft.  Heck,
that's all we really wanted anyway, right?

But after two major versions or so of Gnome and KDE, they ran out of
ideas.  It was a better desktop.  I imagine the dialog was something like:
"What's to improve now?"
"Hmmm.... let me think....  I got nothing, you?"
"Well we got here by chasing someone else and making it better."
"Yeah....please tell me you're not suggesting...."
"YES!  We did it once let's do it again!"

And so they chased after an OS that was once again dumbing down the
interface to meet the intelligence of it's "users".  This might work for
the general masses.  But someone that seeks enlightenment and truth
wants an interface the pulls them up, not dumbs them down.  We seek an
intelligent interface that improves out lives.  Dumbing down the
interface just dumbs down the user.  And those users are too dumb to
switch to a better OS anyway, so why chase it.  Give people with the
desire to have a free mind find their way out of the matrix a place to
go.  Do shove them back in an call it an improvement.

> Anyway, systemd has nothing to do with making life easier for new users. It aims to make life better for sysadmins, though admittedly not the ones who are set in their ways and can't be bothered to learn new things. It's a little more opaque than a script-based init system, but not much more once you are familiar with it. In return, it offers speed, security, and resource usage improvements over other init systems.

Systemd rings of the windows registry to me (different product, but same
user reaction).  I suspect it will be a total flop.  Yes it's nice to be
able to start multiple processes at once.  Wait, the current sysvinit
can do that now.  "Oh, but it doesn't make things faster on boot."
Right, because booting is mostly a drive intensive operation, regardless
of init system; parallelism will only scatter the heads more, further
delaying startup.  "But we have SSDs now!"  Then you have a storage fast
enough to saturate the bus on one process, making the parallel
threads/processes on a different core wait for their turn to saturate
the bus.  Result: implied serialization.  "But we need fast boot!"  No,
you need a UPS.  Fast boot is for OSes that can't stop BSOD-ing.  And
maybe development machines that reboot as part of their testing.  Yes, I
always loved pointing out that my first linux install booted faster than
it ever did on windows.  And I became embarassed when new releases had
network service delays that prevented local processes and the
shell/desktop from loading.  But then I realized, I reboot maybe once a
year at most, so why do I care?  On a laptop, I care.  I have suspend
working now.  My system is up and ready before the LED has time to turn
on.  That's right, I don't care.

Or maybe, I just need to move next door to Michael.  We could play lawn
pong using old keyboard to knock hippy kids over the shared fence.

;-Daniel