Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 14:45:48 MDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 09:14 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 28, 2013 08:32:19 AM Andy Bradford wrote:
>
> I definitely ran into frustration with init on several occasions. systemd is
> more sophisticated and seems to solve a lot of problems init had. I'm still
> wrapping my brain around it.

For me, it was just a matter of going to it. I'm by no means a systemd
wizard but systemctl enable servicename at user or what not is just as if
not easier than some rc/init systems, and writing the service files,
they're, at least in my opinion, easier to read than alot of the init
scripts I've hacked over the years. Every since Arch made the
transition, I've been pretty pleased with it, and all my existing
installations at home, were seemless in migrating from initscripts to
systemd. a Quick Perl one liner against my rc.conf and a file with a
hash map, and my systemd deamons were set, no more problems. I really
don't get what all the hate for it is... I missed those threads in the
Arch Forums, but, I'm happy, I like it and as a user, that's ultimately
all that matters. Mind you this all coming from a guy who still hates
GNOME 3 and Unity with a passion, in alot of cases, the change is good.
Once systemd gets into more distros I think the haters will come to see
the light, and those that don't, can install Solaris and suck it up ;-)
--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript Zealot
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com