Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 14:42:59 MDT 2013

To try to answer the original question...  How to change the console
resolution.  I find that the Arch Wiki has LOTS of great info relevant
to more than just Arch.
Caveat emptor:  There are often subtle differences between distros.
i.e. on Arch one uses grub-mkconfig and /boot/grub/grub.cfg on Fedora
one uses grub2-mkconfig and /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.  But tab completion
and man pages are your friend for working out these minor differences.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Visual_Configuration

Long and short of it.

1. Edit /etc/default/grub and make sure the following are set the way
you want and uncommented.
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600x16
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

2. Run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

-- OR -- if like in my case you have a finicky monitor (I assume not
because its 1920x1200 or something...)  You can switch to an entirely
plain console.

1. Edit /etc/default/grub and comment out
#GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600x16
#GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

2. Add or uncomment:
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

3. Run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

As for systemd.  I was at first annoyed by the switch but as I get
comfortable with it I really like what I see.  IMO the problem w/
adoption has been the documentation.  While thurough its not
particularly...... practical I guess.  Its very academic, like reading
a text book; not so much like reading an owners manual.  I learned a
lot by looking into target and service definitions to really
understand what was going on.

Again I find the Arch Wiki and the previously linked Fedora Wiki to
both be helpful
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd

HTH