Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Thu Mar 28 10:25:10 MDT 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:

> On Thursday, March 28, 2013 08:32:19 AM Andy Bradford wrote:
>> Can you point me to  this overwhelming plethora of system administrators
>> who were clamoring for systemd?
>
> I definitely ran into frustration with init on several occasions. systemd is
> more sophisticated and seems to solve a lot of problems init had. I'm still
> wrapping my brain around it.

ok, when an experienced guy like Doran is taking this long to wrap his brain around a new system (it's been out for what?  a year? two?) then it may just be a tad overcomplicated.

I am not saying it doesn't address certain issues, or create some interesting new solutions, just saying from an admin standpoint, I appreciate the KISS principal, and with systemd versus init, only one of them is relatively simple.

At this point, my opinion of systemd is far from complete.  In order to truly love or hate it I will have to spend the time to know it.  The issue is that until centos has it (I'm guessing next major rev), I won't take the time to fully learn it.  Fedora is for my home systems (mythtv, etc) and at home I just want things to work.

Side note, and actually back on topic for this thread, I am still running Fedora 17, as 18 spent several hours trying to upgrade, then gave some very cryptic errors.  This errors led me to the wiki that basically said "this section needs to be documented".  Not very inspiring for a new Major release.

-Steve