Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Mar 28 10:15:00 MDT 2013

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:37:52 -0400
Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net> wrote:

> In short, let me add that if you're looking for a conservative Linux
> desktop environment that rarely changes and doesn't push its users
> (and yes, sometimes drags them kicking and screaming) into the future,
> then Fedora probably isn't the right distro for you. And that's OK --
> part of the reason that there are so many Linux distributions is that
> there's not one distribution that is able to be everything for
> everybody.  If you are looking for a conservative, only changes every
> five-to-ten years, boring old operating system, I can point you at
> several distributions that might be a better fit.

Hear, hear! Quite right. Linux is about choice. You can be bleeding
edge or conservative; either way Linux will accommodate you. But with
choice comes responsibility: the responsibility to know what's out
there (or know someone who does :-) and know what you want.

I've done the bleeding edge stuff, Ubuntu, Fedora, and others. I've
since moved to Debian Stable, about the most boring distribution in
existence, precisely because I want boring and stable.

I look at Fedora as a test bed for Red Hat, and Ubuntu as a test bed
for Debian. I'll let the Fedora and Ubuntu users get the kinks out of
the bleeding edge stuff, and I'll get them when they are much more
mature.

> Is Fedora perfect?  Nope.  Do I think Fedora is fundamentally better
> and stronger than it was three years ago?  Sure.  In the end, though,
> I think it's important to point out that building a distro is an
> iterative process -- you build things, break things, replace things,
> and build again.

Right, and that's a necessary process on the road to maturity. But I
have had quite enough of my operating system or GUI breaking while I'm
trying to develop some product or write a report. I can't afford to
wonder if a problem is something I've done or some foolishness in
software I depend on.

> Here's to what we'll build in the next few years!

Build and mature, please. :-)

Building a new program is the flashy, glamorous stuff. It's the
debugging and maturation that's the boring grunt work. But you need
both.