Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Mar 28 09:37:52 MDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for important changes, I can't see a single benefit to the new Fedora
> installer.

I agree that the anaconda rewrite that made its debut in Fedora 18
left much to be desired -- unfortunately, it was a necessary rewrite,
even if it delayed the release and ended up being less functional than
the previous version.  I could go into details on why it was
necessary, but Will Woods (of Fedora QA fame, and now a part of the
anaconda team) did a much better job of explaining it than I ever
could.

https://ohjeezlinux.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/anaconda-retrospective/

In short, let me add that if you're looking for a conservative Linux
desktop environment that rarely changes and doesn't push its users
(and yes, sometimes drags them kicking and screaming) into the future,
then Fedora probably isn't the right distro for you. And that's OK --
part of the reason that there are so many Linux distributions is that
there's not one distribution that is able to be everything for
everybody.  If you are looking for a conservative, only changes every
five-to-ten years, boring old operating system, I can point you at
several distributions that might be a better fit.

While it was a bit awkward even for me to get used to some of the
changes while I was FPL, I can take a bit of pride in the fact that
the Fedora community has never afraid to break a few eggs to make a
better omelet.  In fact, two of Fedora's four foundational principles
(freedom, friends, features, first) basically point to the fact that
Fedora tries to live on the cutting edge, without going too far over
the bleeding edge.  Ultimately, it's the job of the Fedora Engineering
Steering Committee to make the hard decisions of when new technologies
are ready to go into Fedora.

Is Fedora perfect?  Nope.  Do I think Fedora is fundamentally better
and stronger than it was three years ago?  Sure.  In the end, though,
I think it's important to point out that building a distro is an
iterative process -- you build things, break things, replace things,
and build again.

Here's to what we'll build in the next few years!

--
Jared Smith